Wednesday 29 January 2014

Review: Psyren 13 - Toshiaki Iwashiro

Psyren 14





























I preordered it in December, when the release date was said to be January 16th. I hadn't even realised that I received it until January 17, when I suddenly thought 'Hey... where the bloody hell -?!'

I was soo anguished to realise I had to wait longer - at the time, I'd recently caved in and read 13 and was on a high, for the reasons detailed below. So I'm super happy that it's on it's way now. That's going to make my week. ^_^ Next week, that is.


This artwork is amazing.

Psyren 13


There's so many great things about this volume.

First off, Ageha's crazy plan is ensuring some fast paced action up ahead, which I can't wait for. The devilish look on his face when Matsuri asked if he could actually skip to the last level of the game and beat them was seriously creepy. I'd get a picture in here but I can't really be bothered, lol. Exhausted today. SORRYDUDESANDEES.

Second, Ageha and Sakurako finally know that they like each other and the almost-kiss was SO tense - the fact that it ended with the kids spying on them was HILARIOUS! Me bursting into laughter shook of all that tension, so it's one of my favourite scenes in the book.

Plus, it meant that in the alternate timeline, there's tension between Sakurako and Mari as it's now clear that they both like Ageha, which makes perfect sense and yet I was no expecting it to pan out in that way!!! I am seriously excited to see how Sakurako vs. Mari goes down O_O

FINALLY, but by no means least of all, SHAO!!!
I was extremely happy that he got so much of Volume 13 to himself, being my favourite character and all. And I'd mentioned that in my last post as well!

Shao and Sakurako. SWWWEET! I love this picture. It's a detail from a Psyren volume cover.


Extras

I love Kagetora and Junas' little banter at the beginning. Kagetora is such a teddy bear under the roughness, it's so sweet! And I love how that infuriates Junas. We all know that means they're gonna fight again in the future because Junas can't wait to get back at the guy! I was wondering what happens to the little girl, the Creator (can't rememebr her name, lol.) She's gonna grow up with the bad guys. =// Will she end up twisted?

I LOVE Kyle sooo much, kid and adult. He always makes me laugh. As a kid, he's loud and dramatic, the bit when he knows Ageha has to go back to Psyren and he's sad, is so sweeet. Just before the fist bump, there's this panel of kid Shao and kid Kyle looking so sad that Ageha has to go, and you can tell those kids think the world of him! As an adult, he's very confident almsot cocky, but it's not exactly misplaced as he's become a lot stronger, and that sort of bravado helps him power through the squad Scourge when he's being overwhelmed.

Okay, so....

WhoTF are Scourge???!!!

At first I thought the blonde lady was Matsuri turned evil!!! Didn't take me long to realise I was wrong, hehehe. When they were introduced, it made me realise just how many characters this manga now has. Iwashiro-san handles it really well. I like how none of the characters look identical expect for hair - they are actually distinct.

Granar, Ageha and Miroku!!! (l-r)


The crazy zone diver guy is entertaining too. My favourite part when he appears is when he goes "Mari, that's your name? I'll see you soon Mari!"
- and adult Shao gets mad (because he has a crush on her and is kinda defensive) and goes, "Don't be ridiculous. You won't ever see her again - because I'm about to finish you!"
- and then the ZONE DIVER GUY gets furious (because he is literally and positively insane) and goes, "How dare you call me ridiculous?!!!!"
- and then they start to fight. c:

The reason why I found it so great is because Shao is usually a calm and kinda placid character, so to see him get mad and knowing that he's stronger now was really something.

It made me feel really weird to know that the future had changed and nobody in the future knew. I guess I was thinking about how their actions have very real consequences.

Okaaaay!!!! Psionic Powers Poll !!!! O_O

I was super glad to see this as I wrote about it in my last Psyren post. Like I said, what I originally wrote was lost so what's there now is a watered down version, but nothing has really changed in terms of who I think has the best powers. I do like how imaginative the author is both with what the powers do and with naming them well.

Anywhoo that's it for now. Simply can't wait until Psyren 14 gets here maaaaan.






Star xx